21 mei 2017

Recently Read

Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen (Six Tudor Wives) - Alison Weir



My Score on Goodreads:
⭐⭐⭐

This is an extremely well researched novel, the story being told through the eyes of Katherine of Aragon. While being very true to history, and impressive in all its details, there were a few things I found hard to believe. Katherine's first marriage not being consummated in the book is one, and how she only finds out about Henry and Anne at a very late stage is another. I feel she surely would have been much more aware of their relationship, and also Henry's relationships with earlier misstresses, The way Katherine only ever blames Wolsey, Anne and later Cromwell for absolutely every evil thing Henry does is just silly. She would have known him better after so many years of marriage, and seen that he is not a puppet.
The best parts of the book for me, are the time when Katherine is not yet maried to Henry and everything after the moment Anne appears. I found it enjoyable enough and read the whole thing, which is why I have given three stars. But honestly, a lot more could have been done to make the story more interesting, for instance, more lively dialogue. I would have also enjoyed a few different viewpoints, like that of Wolsey or Princess Mary.

Have you read this novel? What did you think about it?


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten